answer to "Thread wedge in lablgtk" is for a different question

Jacques Garrigue garrigue at
Tue Jul 3 11:49:27 CEST 2001

From: "Jeff Henrikson" <jehenrik at>

> My message was actually a reference to one I sent a few days before.
> The "pointer motion" discrepancy between Linux and Windows was a
> comment on the old rather than a new problem.  (See the earlier
> message.)  All I want to do is get a thread to trigger a paint
> message.  But what happens is that after the first paint, the thread
> that sends periodic paint messages gets stuck.

Sorry, I didn't understand your problem.

The answer is even simpler: with threads, you must use GtkThread.main
in place of GMain.Main.main, otherwise the gtk mainloop will lock.
If you use the toplevel, a thread is automatically started, so you
will have two mainloops running simultaneously, but that seems OK (I'm
wondering why...)